1 ¾ cup dry green lentils
1 cup raisins
½ cup Butter or oil
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Turmeric
4.5 cup White Rice
- Cook lentils with salt, whole onion (cut in half), plenty of water and garlic clove then drain
- Separately, saute 1 onion (pureed in processor or very finely minced) until browned in 6T butter or oil. Add raisins, salt, pepper, cinnamon and turmeric. Turn off when raisins are golden and plumped.
- Stir lentils together with raisin mixture.
- Procedure for rice (do this while making raisin and lentil mix):
- Rinse rice until water is as clear as possible
- Boil water and add plenty of salt
- Add your rinsed rice and boil for about 10-12 min, or until just a hair from being cooked though
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking
Put oil or butter in the bottom of pot on high heat. Add enough rice to cover the bottom and press down a little to compact it. Add remaining rice and lentil mixture in layers. Do not overfill pot. After 3 min, turn heat down to low. Poke holes with end of wooden spoon to vent air. Cover with a lid wrapped in a cloth to absorb water. Steam for 45ish min. Set on cold wet towel to release tahdig.
Serve with cucumber yogurt.
2 cucumbers, peeled if the skin is thick and waxy
4ish cups plain yogurt
1 t sumac
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp dried mint or 1 T chopped fresh mint
Grate cucumbers using a food processor or hand grater. Mix with remaining ingredients and serve.