Part Time Garden/Farm Teacher (Hebrew speaking preferred)
Golestan is a multi-cultural, multi-language, progressive, independent school that follows the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum.
Golestan is looking to hire a Garden/Farm teacher for our elementary program starting in August 2020. This person will be working several days a week with our mixed aged groups in the school garden and farm. This person will also be in charge of maintenance of the garden/farm area.
Our transdisciplinary approach to learning requires the Garden/Farm Teacher work closely with other teachers to integrate the IB curriculum into their gardening classes.
This is a part time job with the potential to turn into a full time job as Garden Teacher/Farm Manager as the school expands its farm.
As the Garden/Farm Teacher, this person will be responsible for:
- Designing hands-on garden/outdoor classes integrating math, science, nutrition and social studies within the framework of the transdisciplinary IB units
- Collaborating with colleagues across disciplines (Literacy, Math, Science, PE, Music, Art) and language tracks (English, Persian, Hebrew and Arabic) to design a cohesive IB curriculum for TK/K and First/Second grade students
- Teaching 3-8 garden-based outdoor classes per week, rain or shine
- Building involvement in and commitment to the school garden within the school community, including teachers, students, parents and community volunteers
- Leading the management of the school garden through direct work and/or coordination of volunteers, staff and students to plant, water, weed, mulch, etc.
- Planning and coordination of garden work with parent volunteers through work parties and other events
- Maintaining and organizing the School Garden supplies/tools (seeds, soil amendments, tools, etc.)
- Harvesting or coordinating the harvest of food for school kitchen, when possible
The ideal candidate must:
- Have knowledge and skills in small-scale organic farming or home gardening and/or urban gardening
- Have knowledge of botany, environmental science, health/nutrition, food systems, and food access
- Have at least one year of experience teaching elementary aged students in a classroom setting
- Have excellent planning and classroom management skills
- Embody the school values of kindness, mindfulness and courage through direct, open, honest and gentle communication with colleagues, students and families
- Have a deep love of experiential outdoor learning
- Be organized
- Be open to feedback
- Be innovative and willing/able to think outside the box
- Be deeply kind, warm, nurturing, and empathetic
- Native Hebrew speaking teacher preferred
- Experience working in a language immersion school setting
Our environment is very intimate and hands on, both with the children and with our colleagues. We work very closely together across grades in a very loving, positive, and family-like setting.
Benefits of working at Golestan:
Golestan isn’t just a job, it’s a way of life! All staff enjoy the benefits of working in a kind, loving, and respectful environment, in addition to family style meals prepared by our chef and access to wholesale farm-fresh grass fed/pastured meat from Marin Sun Farms. Golestan provides fully covered health insurance for full time staff, dental insurance, 403b retirement plan, and delicious treats in our beautiful staffroom.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com for immediate consideration.