Kindergarten/TK Lead Teacher (Full time, Credentialed)
Mixed age (TK + K) multicultural class of ~10-16 children in a progressive independent school that follows the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum.
Golestan is looking to hire a loving and experience credentialed teacher to lead our TK/K class starting in August 2020. We are looking for someone who values collaboration as a co-teacher and is creative and open to different ideas and trying new things. Must connect well with kids, families, and colleagues of all backgrounds and be passionate about integrating curricular subjects into project-based thematic learning.
As the lead teacher, this person will be responsible for:
- Establishing a classroom culture that is safe, inclusive, collaborative, and intellectually challenging for all students by utilizing effective practices, rituals and traditions for community building.
- Building and executing 4 to 6 transdisciplinary, inquiry-based IB units that integrate Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standard; these are multilingual, project-based units that lead to student action within the school and in the broader community.
- Creating and maintaining formative assessment systems (reading, writing, math, social-emotional), used in weekly planning meetings to plan instruction as well as summative performance assessment tasks that require students to apply knowledge and skills they build during units of inquiry.
- Building and maintaining positive and engaging relationships with parents/families and work cooperatively with them to strengthen the educational program for their children.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and a group of teachers (including PE teacher, music/theater teacher, other language teachers, and dedicated co-teacher/teacher aide) by leading curriculum planning and student support meetings.
The ideal candidate must:
– have a trans-disciplinary perspective for fully integrated hands on, inquiry-based, child centered approach to teaching
– have a minimum of three years experience teaching lower elementary grades
– have a multiple-subject teaching credential
– have a Bachelor’s degree in education and/or related field
– have a deep love of experiential outdoor learning
– have a hunger for learning (themselves) and teaching (kids)
-embody the school values of kindness, mindfulness and courage through direct, open, honest and gentle communication with colleagues, students and families
– be organized
– be open to feedback
– be open to creating an unconventional classroom environment that is compliant with the schools design aesthetic and is uncluttered, simple, and beautiful
– be innovative and willing/able to think outside the box
– be able to create community among students, families, and colleagues
– be deeply kind, warm, nurturing, and empathetic
– be passionate about developing their own curriculum and integrating with the IB framework in collaboration with colleagues across disciplines and language tracks
– be comfortable in a fluid and dynamic startup environment
– IB certification
– experience teaching TK or Kindergarten preferred
– experience teaching language learners using best practices for second language acquisition
– experience with developing emergent curriculum
– experience living in other countries
– have an affinity for the Socratic method and a constructivist approach
– have native fluency in a second or third language (preferred languages are Hebrew or Arabic)
Our environment is very intimate and hands on, both with the children and with our colleagues. We work very closely together across grades in a very loving, positive, and family-like setting.
Benefits of working at Golestan:
Golestan isn’t just a job, it’s a way of life! All staff enjoy the benefits of working in a kind, loving, and respectful environment, in addition to family style meals prepared by our chef and access to wholesale farm-fresh grass fed/pastured meat from Marin Sun Farms. Golestan provides fully covered health insurance for full time staff, dental insurance, 403b retirement plan, and delicious treats in our beautiful staffroom.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com for immediate consideration.